Chemistry studies the properties of matter and energy and how they interact with each other. In fact physics is also defined in the same way. Chemistry and physics are an integral part of physical science. Chemistry specifically studies the properties of the substances and their interactions with different types of matter, especially when they involve electrons.
Importance of chemistry?
By understanding the various aspects of chemistry, you can understand many things about the world around you. You can also understand about how things work and what you can do to solve simple problems related to your home environment. For example, if you have a stain on your white shirt; you can use lime or baking soda to remove the stain. These are some of the chemical formulae or properties that you can apply in your daily life.
There are several other things that are interesting to know like laundry detergent works well in hot water, or you can preserve food using vinegar or by pickling it, or you can store peas by freezing them. So, if you know the basic properties of chemistry, then you can put them to everyday use very easily. For example, instead of buying tooth whiteners, you can simply use sodium bicarbonate and mix some water to make a thick paste. You can use this mixture with your regular toothpaste to whiten your teeth. You can use substances like vinegar, lime juice or soda to remove stains from your clothes. You can use soda mixture to remove stains from the floor.
Chemistry in everyday life
Chemistry is all around you if you notice. Chemical reactions are taking place within our body, and outside in our natural environment all the time. However, we may not know about it unless we study or read about them, and then understand them. Most of the chemical reactions are not visible to our naked eye.
Also read:Math in everyday life
Here is how chemistry is used in everyday life:
The way a plastic wrap protects your food and how it is extracted from polymers is all part of chemistry. In fact, polymers is the next biggest industry to textiles in the United States.
Obesity is such a big problem in the United States, and it is also a result of the chemical reactions taking place inside your body. Or rather, obesity is caused due to the absence of certain chemical reactions. Every single medication that you take when sick is made out of chemicals, and they react chemically inside the body. That is why they are able to cure the illness or disease.
Glass is a simple substance that is actually made using sand, lime and soda ash. There are hundreds of varieties of glass available, and they are all made using different compositions of these substances. Glass is very important as it is used in many places and making objects including, cars, vehicles, microscopes and anything you can think of.
Fermentation that you see in food items is a chemical process. Many day to day products like cheese, butter, milk, yogurt, and hundreds of products made from milk are due to a chemical process. Also, there are several kinds of cheese that can be made from a single chemical reaction.
How is chemistry applied to life ?
Chemistry is basically the study of everyday chemicals that are very much present around us and available, and that which can be applied in real life. These chemicals can be applied in many ways like in the kitchen. The kitchen is the ideal lab where people can experience various chemical reactions and even study them. They need not do anything special. They can simply do what they do in the kitchen everyday and still observe the chemical reactions that occur.
Also read:Science in everyday life
A simple task like boiling of water is a chemical reaction. We all know that water boils at 100 degrees Centigrade. When we boil water everyday, we can observe this.
Tamarind is a simple ingredient used in cooking in several dishes. It gives that extra tangy taste that you are looking for. However, when you cook or store tamarind in aluminum container, it releases certain types of chemicals into foods. When you learn about this, you would avoid cooking tamarind based substances in aluminum vessels, or storing tamarind in an aluminum container. A saturation point is when the water cannot dissolve anymore sugar or salt. This is why food ends up tasting very salty or sweet as it can take in no sugar or salt.
Checking the temperature when we feel feverish using a thermometer is a simple chemical process we do sometimes. The mercury in the thermometer rises if the body temperature is high. When we touch certain chemicals like chlorine we can burn the skin. This is because of the chemical properties of these chemicals that are causing this burning sensation.
Chemistry comes in use for killing pests and rodents at home. When we use naphthalene balls at home we are using a product of chemistry. Many of us use pickling as a method to preserve vegetables. Pickling is a simple chemical process that involves the process of osmosis.
- chemistry in daily life assignment
- importance of chemistry in daily life assignment
- chemistry in everyday life
- chemistry in everyday life assignment
- importance of chemistry in our daily life in points
- importance of chemistry in everyday life assignment
- chemistry in daily life
- chemistry in everyday life essay
- importance of chemistry in our daily life essay
- chemical in day to day life essay
I wrote an essay about the importance of chemistry in high school and submit it into a competition. My essay was awarded second place in the Country in the high school category. So I decided just to do a simple blog post about the importance of chemistry in everyday life.
The importance of chemistry in everyday life is listed below, but the list does not reflect all the ways in which chemistry is important to everyday life.
- For all living things to function and survived their bodies perform various chemical processes. Some of those processes includes; respiration, digestion, producing new cell, filtering and releasing of waste substances from their bodies, reproduction, etc. so all living things depend on chemical reactions to function and survived.
- Chemistry is the foundation of medicine. Human being use chemical reactions to create medication for a broad spectrum of illness and/ or they utilize medicinal plants and animals. Chemical reactions takes place in plants and animals, this result in the formation of substances in some plants and animals that can be used to treat illness. Chemistry is important to everyday life, because it provides medicine.
- The food we consume each day comes directly from chemical processes. So without chemistry we and our domesticated animals would have no food (yes no home cook meals, fast food, animal feed, etc.). We would also have no food flavouring and colouring to put on our food.
- Chemistry is needed for the continual advancement of technology. By using the principles of chemistry we are able to extract different types of metals and also create different types of plastics. Plastics and metals are used in all aspect of society; from the office, housing industry, transportation industry (car, train, etc.), power industry, manufacturing industry to the food industry. The metals and plastics created are used to build electronic devices (phones, tablets, etc.), cars, lab equipment’s, hospital equipment’s, etc..
So because of chemistry we are able to make the iPod, laptops, cars, tablets, plastic bags, shoes, and clothing, send a man to the moon, genetically modified food to be healthier, treat diseases, etc. Chemistry also enable us to cook and clean.
N.B. Chemistry is involve in the creation of all manmade objects and things. So everything you touch throughout your life time, is touch by chemistry.