Since the inception of the Department of Pennsylvania state Essay Contest in 1935, The American Legion has awarded well over $500,000 in scholarships, while local American Legion Posts, counties, Districts and Sections have also offered suitable awards and prizes for their respective best essay winners.
Through the annual Department of Pennsylvania American Legion Essay scholarship contest, students are provided an opportunity to showcase their talents and abilities in English by using originality, accuracy and research as evidence, while learning that the responsibilities and duties of good citizenship can be both rewarding and fun.
As American Legionnaires, we fully believe that education is the cornerstone upon which the future of America is built. Education becomes the first requisite of good citizenship and the relationship of The American Legion to Pennsylvania citizens is of prime importance as a means of keeping us a free civilization.
Our approach to supporting solid educational principles is direct and positive. We agree with the current PA Department of Education initiative of “writing across the curriculum” and reward the efforts of involved students through our annual essay scholarship program.
Any student enrolled in grades 9 thorough 12 in a public, private or parochial School or who is home schooled in Pennsylvania is eligible to participate.
Prizes To Be Awarded
The Department of Pennsylvania State Essay First Place Winner will be awarded a $3500 scholarship, a plaque and a trip to this years PA American Legion Convention in July to read the winning essay to the assembled delegates.
The Second Place Winner will receive a $3000 scholarship and a plaque.
The Third Place Winner will receive a $2500 scholarship and a plaque.
Grades 9 – 12 Topic–“What Does Being a Patriot Mean to Me?”
2018 Essay Brochure for Grades 9-12
The Department of Pennsylvania is encouraging Posts to participate in the Essay Program for students in grades 6 -8. This will prepare students for the high school aged Department Essay Program.
Grades 6 – 8 Topic–“What can be done to build respect for our State & Local Law Enforcement?”
2018 Essay Brochure for Grades 6-8
To participate or to find out additional information contact Department Headquarters at 717-730-9100
- Essay must solely be the original work of the contestant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification and may be reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- Employees of Belluck & Fox, LLP, Consultwebs.com, Inc., their boards of directors and immediate family members are not eligible for this essay contest. Immediate family members of the judges are not eligible for this essay contest.
- All federal, state, local and other taxes and charges on prizes will be the sole responsibility of the contestant.
- All submissions become property of the Belluck & Fox, LLP, law firm to use, reproduce, or distribute as it sees fit in its sole discretion, although authorship may be acknowledged.
- By accepting a prize, winners grant to Mesothelioma Help the right to edit, publish, copy, display and otherwise use their essay in connection with this contest, and to further use their names and biographical information in promotional materials without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- Mesothelioma Help will make every reasonable attempt to read and have judged every essay, but Mesothelioma Help is not responsible for failure to read and/or judge an essay.
- Any prize or other item to which a contestant may become entitled as a result of his/her participation in this contest is subject to immediate revocation in the event of a discovery of a contestant’s failure to comply with these rules.
- The number of prizes may be changed at Mesothelioma Help sole discretion.
- By participating in this essay contest and/or accepting a prize, contestants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Mesothelioma Help, its managers, members, directors, officers, and employees, from and against any and all liability and costs in connection with any claim from any liability, injury, damages, cost or expense, including reasonable attorney’s fees, arising out of or connected to participation in this contest or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prizes.
- Under no circumstances shall Mesothelioma Help, its managers, members, directors, officers, employees, agents, investors or licensors, be liable to the contestant for any indirect, punitive, special or consequential damages.
- Depending on the number of responses, Mesothelioma Help may institute a cutoff at which time we will refuse to receive additional new applications. Therefore, if you are interested in participating in this essay contest, you should submit your application as soon as possible.
- If there are changes to these Rules they will be sent by email and will be considered read and accepted by the contestant. If they are not acceptable, the contestant may withdraw from this essay contest.
- Any dispute arising from this contest will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles. The contestant’s participation in the contest shall constitute consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County, New York, and agreement that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
For questions about the Mesothelioma Help Scholarship Essay Contest, please see the “Frequently Asked Questions”. If your question is not answered, you may email: [email protected]