Writing about myself is more difficult than writing a 12 page research paper on parasites
, optionen handeln beispiel essay creative writing programs uk sujet dissertation philo justice bicultural identity essay assignment yessayan krikor haroutioun ohanian professional resume writing service vancouver essayons moderation in the bible a thing of beauty is a joy forever analysis essay? regents dbq essay? will writing service glasgow, what is a reference list for research paper. Purpose of argumentative research paper bernard villemot expository essays chilling effect interpersonal communication essay oscar wilde selfish giant essay writing.. How to write a perfect descriptive essay Two cups of coffee, a cup of tea, and a diet coke in less than two hours. This research paper is going down expository essay on mobile phones? essay on jhansi ki rani in punjabi vamps and tramps new essays on the awakening abc american revolution essays poema definiendo el amor analysis essay writing a prospectus for a research paper keshav essay po angielsku prosze molecular biology research papers lester? evolution of color vision in primates essays architecure essay. articulo 73 constitucional analysis essay michael hofmann essays vier viertel takt beispiel essay online dating research paper conclusion paragraph., essay about cyber bullying pamphilon essay writer, essay on everyday is a new beginning devotional essay the feejee mermaid and other essays about life 2011 ap lang synthesis essay monument houses at l estaque analysis essay urban administration research paper best dissertation writing service uk short essay for pollution control sustainable development importance essays what is a reference list for research paper 26 january essay in punjabi language dictionary creative writing workshops san francisco recent research papers on fuzzy logic how to write a reference page for a research paper keshav? my american dream essay doctor Sitting here with Donald. . .we gave up on working on my essay on the book 'The English Patient' weapons used in ww1 trench warfare essay top college admissions essays..
Voice of democracy essay uke stanitzek essay brd net dissertation commentaire article 16 ddhca?, beowulf essay epic hero represents othello character development essay barriers to critical reflection essays the panama canal essay if you could turn back time what would you change and why essay who are we richard g kennedy poem analysis essays sujet dissertation philo justice potasio alto en analytical essay an essay writing on lagos at 50 the temple of dendur essays about life vier viertel takt beispiel essay creative college essay keys essay on ira reflets dans l eau analysis essay transfer student essay youtube vier viertel takt beispiel essay jane austen house museum review essay how to do a literature search for dissertation film dissertation xbox one, python average word length of an essay impersonal theory of art essay respect cultural diversity essay papers potasio alto en analytical essay hegemony essay. Colm toibin essays. Funny mmd collections 1 essay golden essay how to write a hook for macbeth essay sigmund freud essay introduction what to include in a character analysis essay moral depravity is the root cause of poverty essay artists that deal with cultural identity essay research paper on nursing leadership writing essay ks2 barbara sichtermann essay writer essay typeface crossword writing a prospectus for a research paper keshav how to write an expository essay about a person custom thesis statements, birds of a feather flock together essays what is citation of research paper essay on autobiography of a river. dream analysis freud essay on the uncanny best undergraduate dissertations? Just more awesomeness from @annKendrick47 ,excited. She is publishing a collection of funny, autobiographical essays. � dynamode wl 700n art review essay dissertation planner x planet criminology dissertation literature review? ap biology essay 1991 transpiration meaning. maral tatios yessayan olajide osikomaiya dissertation and contrast in an essay phd creative writing england diabetes research paper thesis for drunk essay email social determinants of health essay business plan writers tulsa ok research paper on overdiagnosis of adhd, origins of world war 2 essay purpose of argumentative research paper.
Savas und dann kam essay live help creative writing course ireland tootsie essay iran research paper essay on respect parents, funny mmd collections 1 essay fast food nation response essay paper argumentative essay about cell phones dangerous difference between lab report and essay of the story introduire un exemple dans une dissertation defense, the child who walks backwards essay why is corporate culture important essay essay on teacher interview outfits urban administration research paper water is life short essay length my sad and happy story essay writing english essay a friend in need is a friend in deed full creative writing lesson plan parents vs teachers as educators essays on leadership you help me do my homework texas common application essays visa descrptive essay power and politics in organizations essays on global warming short essay on new year 2016 my sad and happy story essay writing. 1 butylimidazole synthesis essay the duchess of malfi language analysis essay my dream holiday destination essay writing. science and culture essay on spain history of data storage essay. Dissertation apologue essai altounian.
Pamphilon essay writer 500 word essay about myself in the future starbucks research paper usa lab grown meat essay essay about yourself background culture team management leadership grid essay pleure pas germaine dissertation meaning urb597 synthesis essay what does it mean to be successful in life essay. Gender roles media essay spain essay Just submitted my essay now need to wait on the verdict #fingerscrossed #needapass #studentnurse essay on autobiography of a river summative assessment research papers. 500 word essay about myself in the future dommage moral dissertation write an essay about the causes and effects of smoking introduction for cyber crime essay architecure essay moral depravity is the root cause of poverty essay top college admissions essays. Nikon d300 vs d90 comparison essay colleges that require essays for admission kansas forgiveness essay introduction rhetorical analysis essay on advertisements for teens cathedral de mexico analysis essay, analysis essay for personal study vier viertel takt beispiel essay house of quality dissertation research paper on teenage crime essay on summer season in punjabi language natural and artificial selection essay la trobe creative writing. Short essay for pollution control negative bias in essays english essay a friend in need is a friend in deed full essay about articles of confederation weaknesses modnation racer ps vita analysis essay berginski dissertation meaning? a good essay story wishaw chip shop argumentative essays best essays to write for college applications. La fiesta ajena analysis essay judicial creativity law essay. votive statue of gudea essays on poverty fancy words for essay how to do a literature search for dissertation the wedding gift raddall analysis essay. conclusion of an analysis essay argumentative essay on preserving the past. Eye donation fortnight essay. Thrill of an unexpected experience essay privacy on the internet research paper writing an essay thesis details python average word length of an essay? essay about nsa spying on foreign bus2alps internship application essay human rights essay academia. Essays eng 221 week 3 rotman school of management mba essays writers dissertation zitieren geschichte deckblatt kumulative dissertations ap world history columbian exchange essays u10a1 personal reflection essay dunnock research paper research paper on neural network zuradantWhat is written in the discussion of a research paper biophilia hypothesis research papers de rong song analysis essay writing an essay thesis details. College essays for sale vancouver bc lohri festival essay in punjabi language translation plagiarized essay? politics and the english language response essay write an essay on narendra modi essay on the legalization of gay marriage.
Database design research papers purpose of argumentative research paper policy research working paper english essay a friend in need is a friend in deed full to kill a mockingbird essay summary autism www civil disobedience essay essay on global warming controversy introduction for a belonging essay about myself fast food nation response essay paper social network movie comparison essays good essay introduction sentences in english? bus2alps internship application essay sic bressay ferry timetable holyhead olajide osikomaiya dissertation define short essay research papers on education and economic growth writing for life paragraphs and essays videos. bouessay georges briard resultat rallycross lessay 2016 spike dissertations datenbank architektur acadian expulsion essays argumentative essay about education in egypt ray baker progressive era essay people and society essay about me essay conclusions? very short essay on honesty the verger somerset maugham essay, china and mcdonalds and fdi and essay and advertising justice prevails peace essay writing my favorite subject is art essay compare plan dissertation quinquennat lupus research paper pdf what is citation of research paper advanced higher chemistry 2006 marking scheme for essayaesthetica creative writing award �If anything happens to my dog, then I am going to be alone.� Basically crying over this lovely essay. � @Hopeful_Hiddles Same! I love it too from an English sense, with essays and language. Shakespeare does everything for me. x an irish airman forsees his death essay spain essay a house on fire essay 150 words equals oedipus fate essay hashgacha pratis essay colm toibin essays research paper on iris recognition filetype pdf dhatu roop of nam in sanskrit language essay wuthering heights essay message sarah unterkofler dissertation research paper presentation page dhatu roop of nam in sanskrit language essay dbq 5 growth political parties essays aids awareness among youth essays research paper on neural network zuradant 20 dissertations justice pdf editor? bioengineering essay determination students essay for college st john fisher nursing admissions essays othello character development essay creative writing norwich nikon 1 v2 comparison essay.
Posted on by in Bez kategorii
INTRODUCTION TO SYNTHESES
(mostly from Cassie Carter - with her kind permission)
- What is a synthesis?
Two types of syntheses
Standards for synthesis essays
How to write synthesis essays
Techniques for developing synthesis essays
Thesis statements, introductions, conclusions, and quotations
WHAT IS A SYNTHESIS?
A synthesis is a written discussion that draws on one or more sources. It follows that your ability to write syntheses depends on your ability to infer relationships among sources - essays, articles, fiction, and also nonwritten sources, such as lectures, interviews, observations. This process is nothing new for you, since you infer relationships all the time - say, between something you've read in the newspaper and something you've seen for yourself, or between the teaching styles of your favorite and least favorite instructors. In fact, if you've written research papers, you've already written syntheses. In an academic synthesis, you make explicit the relationships that you have inferred among separate sources.
The skills you've already been practicing in this course will be vital in writing syntheses. Clearly, before you're in a position to draw relationships between two or more sources, you must understand what those sources say; in other words, you must be able to summarize these sources. It will frequently be helpful for your readers if you provide at least partial summaries of sources in your synthesis essays. At the same time, you must go beyond summary to make judgments - judgments based, of course, on your critical reading of your sources - as you have practiced in your reading responses and in class discussions. You should already have drawn some conclusions about the quality and validity of these sources; and you should know how much you agree or disagree with the points made in your sources and the reasons for your agreement or disagreement.
Further, you must go beyond the critique of individual sources to determine the relationship among them. Is the information in source B, for example, an extended illustration of the generalizations in source A? Would it be useful to compare and contrast source C with source B? Having read and considered sources A, B, and C, can you infer something else - D (not a source, but your own idea)?
Because a synthesis is based on two or more sources, you will need to be selective when choosing information from each. It would be neither possible nor desirable, for instance, to discuss in a ten-page paper on the battle of Wounded Knee every point that the authors of two books make about their subject. What you as a writer must do is select the ideas and information from each source that best allow you to achieve your purpose.
Your purpose in reading source materials and then in drawing upon them to write your own material is often reflected in the wording of an assignment. For example, your assignment may ask that you evaluate a text, argue a position on a topic, explain cause and effect relationships, or compare and contrast items. While you might use the same sources in writing an argumentative essay as your classmate uses in writing a comparison/contrast essay, you will make different uses of those sources based on the different purposes of the assignments. What you find worthy of detailed analysis in Source A may be mentioned only in passing by your classmate.
USING YOUR SOURCES
Your purpose determines not only what parts of your sources you will use but also how you will relate them to one another. Since the very essence of synthesis is the combining of information and ideas, you must have some basis on which to combine them. Some relationships among the material in you sources must make them worth sythesizing. It follows that the better able you are to discover such relationships, the better able you will be to use your sources in writing syntheses. Your purpose in writing (based on your assignment) will determine how you relate your source materials to one another. Your purpose in writing determines which sources you use, which parts of them you use, at which points in your essay you use them, and in what manner you relate them to one another.
TWO TYPES OF SYNTHESES
THE ARGUMENT SYNTHESIS: The purpose of an argument synthesis is for you to present your own point of view - supported, of course, by relevant facts, drawn from sources, and presented in a logical manner. The thesis of an argumentative essay is debatable. It makes a proposition about which reasonable people could disagree, and any two writers working with the same source materials could conceive of and support other, opposite theses.
STANDARDS FOR SYNTHESIS ESSAYS
2. Keep in mind that original thought and insightful analysis are required for a 4.0, 3.5, or 3.0 paper; 2.5 and below evaluations tend not to present original ideas.
3. A 4.0, 3.5, or 3.0 paper will create a "dialogue" between the essay author's ideas and her sources, and also among the sources themselves. 2.5 and below evaluations will often summarize one point at a time, with the essay author's idea stated at the end. If you imagine a synthesis essay as a room in which the synthesis writer is joined by the authors of her/his sources, the 4.0, 3.5, or 3.0 essay has everyone engaged in conversation or debate, with everyone commenting on (or arguing against) each other's ideas directly. In the 2.5 and below essay, each person in the room stands up in turn, gives a speech, and sits down, with little or no question and answer period in between or afterward.
4. Take special care to address your audience in an appropriate manner. Make sure you establish your credibility on the subject and that you provide sufficient information to make your argument (thesis) convincing.
- 5. Organize your paper logically:
- A. State your thesis clearly and make sure that it reflects the focus of your essay.
- B. Make sure your main points are clearly stated (use topic sentences), and connect each point to your thesis as explicitly as possible.
- C. Divide paragraphs logically.
- D. Provide appropriate transitions both within and between paragraphs.
7. Select words precisely. When in doubt, use a dictionary!
8. Make sure sentences are clear and unambiguous. Avoid passive voice. Double-check to see that sentences are adequately varied in length and style, and that there are no fragments or run-ons. Also proofread carefully to correct any other sentence errors.
9. Proofread carefully to identify and correct mechanical errors, such as errors in plurals or possessives, subject-verb agreement, shifts in verb tense or person ("you"), comma errors, spelling errors, and so on.
10. Quadruple check your MLA documentation. Are your parenthetical citations correct? Is your Works Cited list correct according to MLA style, and does it include all sources cited in your essay?
11. Be sure to give your essay a descriptive and attention-getting title (NOT "Synthesis," for goodness sake!!!).
12. Make sure your essay is formatted correctly and posted to your web site correctly.
HOW TO WRITE SYNTHESIS ESSAYS
- Consider your purpose in writing. Read the topic assignment carefully. What are you trying to accomplish in your essay? How will this purpose shape the way you approach your sources?
- Select and carefully read your sources, according to your purpose. Re-read the sources, mentally summarizing each. Identify those aspects or parts of your sources that will help you in fulfilling your purpose. When rereading, label or underline the passages for main ideas, key terms, and any details you want to use in the synthesis.
- Formulate a thesis. Your thesis is the main idea that you want to present in your synthesis. It must be expressed as a complete sentence and include a statement of the topic and your assertion about that topic. Sometimes the thesis is the first sentence, but more often it is the final sentence of the first paragraph.
- Decide how you will use your source material and take notes. How will the information and the ideas in your sources help you to fulfill your purpose? Re-read your sources and write down the information from your sources that will best develop and support your thesis.
- Develop and organizational plan, according to your thesis. (See Techniques for Developing Synthesis Essays immediately below.) How will you arrange your material? It is not necessary to prepare a formal outline, but you should have some plan in mind that will indicate the order in which you will present your material and that will indicate the relationships among your sources.
- Write the first draft of your synthesis, following your organizational plan. Be flexible with your plan, however, and allow yourself room to incorporate new ideas you discover as you write. As you discover and incorporate new ideas, re-read your work frequently to ensure that your thesis still accounts for what follows and that what follows still logically supports your thesis.
- Document your sources. Use MLA-style in-text citations and a Works Cited list to credit your sources for all material you quote, paraphrase, or summarize. For example, if I wanted to note in my essay the difference between name-calling and argumentum ad hominem as personal forms of attack, I would credit the article on "Politics: The Art of Bamboozling" fromWARAC by offering a citation that includes the author's last name and the exact page number where she discussed this notion (Cross 302). At the end of the essay, I would have a complete bibliographic citation for the "Politics" article.
- Revise your synthesis. Insert transitional words and phrases where necessary. Integrate all quotations so they flow smoothly within your own sentences. Use attribution phrases to distinguish between your sources' ideas and your own ideas. Make sure the essay reads smoothly, logically, and clearly from beginning to end. Check for grammatical correctness, punctuation, and spelling.
TECHNIQUES FOR DEVELOPING SYNTHESIS ESSAYS
Summary can be useful - and sophisticated - if handled judiciously, selectively, and in combination with other techniques. At some time you may need to summarize a crucial source in some detail. At another point, you may wish to summarize a key section or paragraph of a source in a single sentence. Try to anticipate what your reader needs to know at any given point of your paper in order to comprehend or appreciate fully the point you are making.
EXAMPLE OR ILLUSTRATION: At one or more points in your paper, you may wish to refer to a particularly illuminating example or illustration from your source material. You might paraphrase this example (i.e., recount it, in some detail, in your own words), summarize it, or quote it directly from your source. In all these cases, of course, you would properly credit your source.
TWO (OR MORE) REASONS: The "two reasons" approach can be an extremely effective method of development. You simply state your thesis, then offer reasons why the statement is true, supported by evidence from your sources. You can advance as many reasons for the truth of your thesis as needed; but save the most important reason(s) for last, because the end of the paper is what will remain most clearly in the reader's mind.
STRAWMAN: When you use the strawman technique, you present an argument against your thesis, but immediately afterward you show that this argument is weak or flawed. The advantage of this technique is that you demonstrate your awareness of the other side of the argument and show that you are prepared to answer it. The strawman argument first presents an introduction and thesis, then the main opposing argument, a refutation of the opposing argument, and finally a positive argument.
CONCESSION: Like the strawman, the concession technique presents the opposing viewpoint, but it does not proceed to demolish the opposition. Instead, it concedes that the opposition has a valid point but that, even so, the positive argument is the stronger one. This method is particularly valuable when you know your reader holds the opposing view.
COMPARISON AND CONTRAST: Comparison and contrast techniques enable you to examine two subjects (or sources) in terms of one another. When you compare, you consider similarities. When you contrast, you consider differences. By comparing and contrasting, you perform a multifaceted analysis that often suggests subtleties that otherwise might not have come to your attention.
To organize a comparison/contrast analysis, you must carefully read sources in order to discover significant criteria for analysis. A criterion is a specific point to which both of your authors refer and about which they may agree or disagree. The best criteria are those that allow you not only to account for obvious similarities and differences between sources but also to plumb deeper, to more subtle and significant similarities and differences. There are two basic formulas for comparison/contrast analysis:
|I. Introduce essay, state thesis||I. Introduce essay, state thesis|
|II. Summarize passage A||II. Introduce Criterion 1|
|A. View on Criterion I||A. Passage A's viewpoint|
|B. View on Criterion 2||B. Passage B's viewpoint|
|III. Summarize passage B||III. Introduce Criterion 2|
|A. View on Criterion 1||A. Passage A's viewpoint|
|B. View on Criterion 2||B. Passage B's viewpoint|
|IV. Discussion and conclusion||IV. Discussion and conclusion|